The sun’s out, the temperatures are climbing, and you’re probably wondering how to prepare your kids for the day without them melting. Ah, the eternal struggle! We’ve got you covered—literally. Whether you’re prepping for a day at the beach or just a stroll in the park, we’re breaking down how to dress in warm weather into easy-to-follow steps. If you want to turn your kids into mini-experts, have them watch our Goal Mine Class video included in this blog.
Table of Contents
How to Dress in Warm Weather: Steps
|Planning Stage||Check the Weather Forecast||Confirm the temperature, humidity, and chances of rain for the day.|
|Identify Activities||Determine what activities you will be doing to dress accordingly.|
|Selection Stage||Choose a Base Layer||Opt for lightweight, moisture-wicking fabrics.|
|Select Outerwear||Pick a light jacket or cardigan that can be easily removed.|
|Decide on Bottoms||Choose between shorts, skirts, or lightweight trousers.|
|Footwear||Pick appropriate shoes for the activity.|
|Accessories||Decide on hats, sunglasses, and other accessories that provide sun protection.|
|Choose Undergarments||Select moisture-wicking or breathable undergarments.|
|Preparation Stage||Lay Out Clothes||Put all selected items on a flat surface to ensure they match.|
|Prep Your Skin||Apply sunscreen to exposed areas of skin.|
|Hydration||Prepare a reusable water bottle to take with you.|
|Dressing Stage||Put On Base Layer||Start with your selected top and/or undershirt.|
|Put On Bottoms||Step into your chosen pants, shorts, or skirt.|
|Add Outer Layer||If chosen, put on your outer layer.|
|Footwear||Put on socks if needed, followed by your selected shoes.|
|Accessories||Put on a hat, sunglasses, and any other chosen accessories.|
|Final Adjustments||Tuck in shirts or adjust clothing as needed.|
|Grab Essentials||Take your water bottle, a compact umbrella, and any other day essentials.|
- Check the Weather Forecast: First things first, give your favorite weather app a quick peek. Is it going to be hotter than a stove? How about the humidity level? Knowing the forecast helps tailor your outfit choices. Teach your kids to look for temperature, humidity, and rain chances. It’s a small but crucial skill they can carry into adulthood.
- Identify Activities: Next, nail down what’s on the agenda. If your kids want a sandbox adventure, they’ll need different attire than if they’re spending the day indoors. This decision sets the stage for everything else, so involve your kids in the planning.
Read more: Best Weather App for Kids
- Choose a Base Layer: For the love of comfort, pick a base layer that’s lightweight and moisture-wicking. Cotton or performance blends work wonders. They’re breathable and keep the sticky feeling at bay. Have your kids do the “stretch test” to ensure the fabric feels good on their skin.
- Select Outerwear: However tempting it may be to skip this step, a light jacket or cardigan can be a lifesaver in places where the A/C cranks up to arctic levels. Make it something easy to carry, just in case.
- Decide on Bottoms: Now, onto what covers the lower half. Shorts, skirts, or lightweight trousers are your best bets for beating the heat. For active days, consider moisture-wicking materials that help sweat evaporate.
- Footwear: Let those toes breathe! Open-toed sandals work great for the beach. But if you’re planning a walk, go for breathable sneakers. Above all, make sure the shoes are walk-friendly.
- Accessories: Hats and sunglasses aren’t just for show; they offer much-needed UV protection. Involve your kids in picking these out; they’ll be more likely to keep them on.
- Choose Undergarments: Last but not least, choose undergarments that breathe. No one likes the feeling of sweaty underwear, least of all active kids.
- Lay Out Clothes: Get everything on the bed or a flat surface. This step helps visualize the whole ensemble and ensures nothing’s missing.
- Prep Your Skin: Don’t overlook sunscreen. Teach your kids to cover up all exposed skin areas to avoid nasty sunburns later.
- Hydration: Fill up a reusable water bottle. Hydration is vital in hot weather, and having a bottle handy makes sips accessible.
Read more: How to Get Ready for the Pool
- Put On the Base Layer: Have your kids put on their chosen tops first. Make sure it feels comfy and not restricting.
- Put On Bottoms: Follow up with the bottoms. Easy does it, especially with zippers and buttons.
- Add Outer Layer: If you’ve opted for an outer layer, now’s the time to add it. Quick on, quick off is the motto here.
- Footwear: Socks or no socks, get those shoes on. Ensure they’re snug but not tight.
- Accessories: Hats on heads, sunglasses on noses. These little add-ons make a big difference in sun protection.
- Grab Essentials: Last but not least, grab that water bottle and any other essentials like a compact umbrella or wet wipes.
Goally | 100+ Life Skill Video Classes
Does your child need some extra guidance on building essential life skills? Goally’s skill building tablet for kids includes a TV app that has the most robust video library of skills training videos for kids. Ranging from content like “How to Brush Your Teeth” to “How to Make Friends at School,” we have dozens of interactive video lessons for kids with thinking and learning differences.
HERE’s a video explaining how to works. Watch an example of a lesson below!
Flashback Zack leads your child through video classes that teach life skills. They’ll learn social, hygiene, and living skills that are key to their independence.
Get Goally’s Tablet for $149 (and unlock all 100+ video classes for $9/mo!).
So, there you have it. You’re now armed with a game plan for dressing in warm weather. Imagine what our dedicated Tablet could offer if you found this helpful! With more comprehensive video lessons, your kids will be ready for any weather. Happy parenting!